The Keokuk Public Library is giving patrons an opportunity to pay off their fines without dipping into their wallets.
The Food for Fines program will be in effect for the month of September.
People can have their fines reduced by $1 for each non-perishable, non-opened food item or hygiene product.
There are even a few that qualify for $2 off per item:
- Peanut Butter (16 oz. and up)
- Juice (32 oz. and up or multi-packs)
- Canned Meats (tuna, chicken, corned beef, etc.)
- Boxed Meals (Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper)
- Hygiene Products (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.)
The Keokuk Public Library staff has the final say on what a donation is worth. The donations are not valid for paying off a lost item.
All of the donations will be given to the Keokuk Salvation Army.