Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

New Information about Restaurant Manager’s Death

Rich Egger

A memo from the prosecutor to police details what happened before Ramone Doyle was strangled by his roommate in mid-February.

The document by McDonough County State’s Attorney James Hoyle was obtained by Tri States Public Radio through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

The memo said Doyle, his roommate Shaun Davis, and others were “using intoxicating compounds throughout the evening (mainly cocaine and alcohol).”

Eyewitnesses said Doyle’s behavior was unusual and that he acted aggressively toward others, including Davis.

Davis was attacked by Doyle while Davis used the restroom.  Davis repeatedly tried to push him away, and a witness who tried to help Davis “believed that Ramone Doyle was attempting to sexually assault Shaun Davis.”

Credit Western Courier
Ramone Doyle

Davis told investigators that when he realized what Doyle was trying to do, he “took greater measures in defense of himself which included taking Ramone Doyle to the ground, trying to restrain Doyle’s hands and ‘choking’ him.”

The memo described this as “a violent altercation.” Officers documented 10 injuries on Davis’ body. The bathroom’s toilet and sink were broken and the door was damaged.

Little trauma was found to Doyle’s body, and crime lab results found semen on his leg.

In the memo, Hoyle said Davis did not intend to kill Doyle. A witness said Davis stopped choking Doyle once the attacker’s arms went down to his side and his body relaxed.  In addition, Davis stayed with Doyle and assisted him. He even placed a pillow under Doyle’s head. Hoyle said Davis’ version of the events was supported by the physical evidence and a witness.

He wrote, “All evidence indicates that Shaun Davis was defending himself against an attack by Ramone Doyle which lasted several minutes and rose to the level of a felony offense (Unlawful Restraint and Attempted Sexual Assault).”

Credit Rich Egger
McDonough County State's Attorney James Hoyle

The Macomb Police Department recommended Davis be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. But Hoyle said Davis’ response was reasonable under the circumstances and no charges were filed.

As part of the FOIA request, Tri States Public Radio also asked the Macomb Police Department for an expense report detailing the cost of the death investigation. 

Deputy Chief Eric Lenardt wrote, “There are no detailed records that exist for work that was performed specifically on this case. What can be shown is the cost of the initial response to the call and subsequent immediate investigation that occurred.”

That cost is $2,828.19.  Three investigators were called in, two patrol officers were called in to cover regular calls, and three officers were held over after their regular shifts.

Lenardt said all other work on the case was likely done during the normal duty day and thus did not cost the department any extra money.

Rich is TSPR's News Director.